Saturday 22 December 2012

Sports Bio-mechanics and muscle chains workshop by Robin Lansman feedback from Osteopath and Runner

"I attended a day-course at the BSO on sports biomechanics and muscle chains. It was the first time I had returned to the institution since I graduated over 7 years ago. It felt a bit strange initially, but not much had changed about the place. The course was taken by Robin Lansman, who had run a few tutorials when I had been an osteopathic student. The idea of the course was place the osteopath within the scheme of sports-related therapy, and to use a bench mark of assessment to identify lesions within the whole myo-fascial system of the body. The particular test that was focused on was the Squat Test. This was done with the feet slightly pigeon-toed to tighten the hip girdle and amplify spinal restriction. Each squat was accompanied with the raising of both arms in front, preferably using a small weight. Squats are repeated until fatigue starts to set and problem areas can be identified or reported."

I've tried to implement this approach on a number of patients already, and it appears to bring issues to the surface. I've also started reading 'Anatomy trains', by Thomas Myers, many years after I first bought it. It's a bit idiosyncratic but has plenty of useful information about myofascia."



No comments:

Post a Comment